The non-immigrant visas are temporary in nature, and the immigrant must show intent to return back to his/her home country after the expiration of the visa. Some of the non-immigrant visas, however, have dual intent and permit an immigrant to apply for permanent residency (green card) in the United States.

B 1/B-2 Visitor Visa: Individuals who wish to enter the U.S. temporarily for business (visa category B-1), for tourism (visa category B-2), or for a combination of both (B-1/B-2) 

Visa Waiver Program: Permits most citizens or nationals of participating countries of the program to travel to the U.S. for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa. Travelers must have a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). 

E-1/E-2 Treaty Traders & Investor Visas: Treaty Trader (E-1) and Treaty Investor (E-2) visas allow citizens of countries with which the United States maintains treaties of commerce and navigation to invest and work in the United States. 

F-1 Student Visa: Required visa for an individual to study in the U.S. 

H-1B Specialty Occupation Visa: Individuals working in specialty occupation. 

H-2A & H-2B Temporary Workers Visa: Individuals from designated countries providing temporary or seasonal agricultural work (visa category H-2A); individuals from certain designated countries providing temporary or seasonal non-agricultural work (visa category H-2B).  

H-3 Trainee or Special Education Visitor Visa: For individual who receive training, other than graduate medical or academic, that is not available in the trainee’s home country, or practical training programs in the education of children with mental, physical, or emotional disabilities. 

J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: Individuals approved to participate in exchange visitor programs. 

K-1 Fiancé (e)/K-3 Spouse Visa: U.S. Citizens may bring Fiancé (e) to the U.S. to marry and live in the country (visa category K-1); they may also bring foreign spouse (husband or wife) to live in the country (visa category K-3). 

L-1 Intracompany Transferee Visa: Individuals working at a branch, parent, affiliate, or subsidiary of the current employer in a managerial or executive capacity, or in a position requiring specialized knowledge.  Individual must have been employed by the same employer abroad continuously for 1 year within the three preceding years.

O-1 Extraordinary Ability Visa: Individual with extraordinary ability or achievement in the sciences, arts, education, business, athletics, or with extraordinary recognized achievements in the motion picture and television fields, demonstrated by sustained national or international acclaim, to work in their field of expertise.  Includes persons providing essential services in support of the above individual.

P-1 Individual or Team Athlete, or Member of an Entertainment Group Visa: Individuals performing a specific athletic competition as an athlete or as a member of an entertainment group.

P-2 Artist or Entertainer. For performance under a reciprocal exchange program between an organization in the United States and an organization in another country. Includes persons providing essential services in support of the above individual.

P-3 Artist or Entertainer. Visa required to perform, or coach under a program that is culturally unique or a traditional ethnic, folk, cultural, musical, theatrical, or artistic performance or presentation. Includes persons providing essential services in support of the above individual. 

Canadian and Mexican NAFTA Professional (TN) Visa: The TN visa permits qualified Canadian and Mexican citizens to seek temporary entry into the United States to engage in business activities at a professional level.