Family based petitions allow citizens and green card holders to sponsor their family members to immigrate in the United States. Family is very important, which is why being trusted by our clients to help with various petitions, and applications, on behalf of their family members is very special to us. Whether you are a green card holder (lawful permanent resident) or a U.S. Citizen you can petition for your family members, and we would love to help you. 

A green card holder can petition for the following family members: 

  • Spouse
  • Unmarried child(ren) 

A U.S. Citizen can petition for the following: 

  • Spouse
  • Fiancé
  • Unmarried children under 21
  • Married children over 21
  • Parents (if you are 21 or over)
  • Brother/Sister (if you are 21 or over)

When petitioning for a relative, the following preference categories apply:

  • First preference: Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. (Adult means 21 or older)
  • Second Preference (2A): Spouses of Green Card holders, unmarried children (under 21) of permanent residents
  • Second Preference (2B):  Unmarried adult sons and daughters of permanent residents
  • Third Preference: Married sons and daughters (any age) of U.S. citizens
  • Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens

A visa becomes available to a preference category according to the priority date (the date that the family relative petition was properly filed). 

Filing a family-based petition, however, is the first step in obtaining lawful permanent residency (green card).  The second part, once you are the beneficiary of an approved petition, an immigrant visa number is immediately available to you and you are otherwise eligible, is filing the green card application. If eligible, and you are already here, you can file the application in the United States. If you are outside the country, you can file a consular processing case at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in your home country. In addition to assisting our clients with family petitions, we have also been very successful with the filing of inadmissibility waivers, which are often associated with green card applications and consular processing cases.